I'm fairly certain that you'll know what I mean when I say that sometimes songs express how you're feeling about life in a way that other avenues simply cannot. It is a sweet thing when you find that "just right" song (as Steven Tyler would say) that hones in on exactly what you're feeling. It's pretty therapeutic too I think. Awhile back, like 6 months ago, I remember having some emotions running(surging?) through me and I actually combed the internet *desperately* searching for a song that corresponded because it seemed like it would help. (And judging by the discussion boards I found, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who does things like that.) When I do find a song that I identify with, I play it on repeat ad nauseum as I soak it in and think about life. I'm not sure why that is, why I get pulled to songs so much. Perhaps it's a touch of OCD, I won't deny. Maybe it's the comfort of knowing that someone else out there feels the same as I do. Maybe it's because I can sometimes have a difficult time pinpointing my feelings, but the song exposes and expresses it for me. I don't think I'm this way 100% of the time. Often, when I'm not feeling existential about life, the songs I'm into are simply catchy with no or little emotional pull. I was recently looking back at my teenage years and realizing that a lot of what I liked was music and lyrics I had no emotional connection to (well, besides of course being completely smitten by the boy who was singing them). But I think maybe my search for meaning in songs or something to identify with comes in cycles, at times when I am looking for meaning in life in general. I remember even as far back as high school graduation doing this, and with the prospect of college in a faraway place looming I held onto songs like "Drops of Jupiter" by Train and "Closing Time" by Semisonic and would lay on my bed and melodramatically listen to them. I guess maybe I haven't changed much from my 18 year old self.
The following is what I'm calling The Current Playlist to My Life. Some of the songs are ones that I have put on repeat over and over and over (and over) recently. Actually, I think almost all of them I have listened to a ridiculous amount of times lately. One disclaimer, don't get too analytical on me here. Just because I list a song doesn't mean that I identify with the whole thing. Sometimes it's just one phrase or verse that strikes a chord, or sometimes it IS the whole thing, or maybe the way I identify with it is a whole different way than what the point of the song is. But each of these songs does have some sort of internal pull on me at the moment. Ok, without further adieu, here are the songs that have been repeatedly streaming through my earbuds....
Current Playlist to My Life
"Cough Syrup" - Young the Giant
"Empire State" - Guster
"Only One" - Lifehouse
"Drive By" - Train
"Pay Phone" - Maroon 5
"Runaway Baby" - Bruno Mars
"Volcano" - Damien Rice
"Outta My Head" - Fastball
"We've Got Tonight" - Phillip Phillips version
"Out of Exile" - Audioslave
"Other Side of the World" - KT Tunstall
"Out Here All Night" - Damone
"New Divide" - Linkin Park
"What I've Done" - Linkin Park
"Long Way Home" - Stephen Curtis Chapman
"Clocks" - Coldplay
"In My Place" - Coldplay
"Speed of Sound" - Coldplay
"Lost" - Coldplay
"Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" - Coldplay
Bonus Track
"Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen - because it is constantly stuck in my head and so addicting
Any songs in your current life playlist?
No comments:
Post a Comment