For whatever reason, none of this was overly alarming to me, even though the most exciting thing I normally see on my walk in is a squirrel in my path. I went over to the man and asked if he was ok. Between cursing a few times he said he was. I pulled his bicycle off the top of him (after announcing I was going to do so), but even then he seemed unable to get up on his own. I asked if he needed help and even though he didn't respond positively, I firmly planted my feet, offered my hand (still holding onto his bike with the other!), grabbed his gloved hand, and we eventually managed to get him up and standing. At that point, he just stood there with his bike, not moving, not trying to get back on, not saying anything. I again asked if he was ok. He said "Well, I WAS" and swore some more. I waited a bit longer, but since he just continued to stand there, I expressed my hope that he was ok, and continued on my way.
As I walked away, I started reflecting on what had just happened. Quite the odd way to start the morning! I was mostly surprised that I got the feeling that he seemed angry at *me*, that to him, my presence on the sidewalk had been the catalyst for his fall. I couldn't help but think that if he had been riding in the bike lane instead of on the sidewalk, that he wouldn't have been in that situation either. The other thing that struck me was the fact that he didn't seem grateful that I helped him. Instead of "thank you," I was met with cussing.
It only took me about two or three more minutes of walking and processing what happened before I realized what my life lesson was. I realized that he just seemed really angry about the whole situation, angry that it had happened at all. He was so angry about it happening that it stopped him from recognizing the part he played in it. And, his focus on being angry about the chain of events prevented him from being able to see the good that was mixed in with the bad (someone helped him up, he wan't seriously injured, etc). Instead his primary response seemed to be anger.
And...how true is that of me?? How many times have unhappy things happened in my own life and I am so set on being mad or hurt or distraught that I hardly even consider the fact that I plopped myself on the pathway to a head-on collision? How often do I blame the person that was just casually walking by when my already wobbly habits or flaws sent me tumbling? But even more than that, I thought about gratitude. This was an in-your(my)-face concrete example of how things going wrong can make you oblivious to what went right. How many times have I sat around moping or stewing about something that happened instead of being grateful for the ways that I was picked back up? How many times have I chosen to dwell on what was going wrong instead of what was going right? (Hint: A LOT of times.)
During my morning break at work, I read what I thought was today's entry from the devotional, Jesus Calling and it was so fitting for the thoughts already running in my head. (I just noticed I actually read yesterday's! It was a happy mistake though :) ). Here's what I read:
It is impossible to praise or thank me too much. As it is written, I inhabit the praises of My people. Sometimes your adoration is a spontaneous overflow of Joy, in response to radiant beauty or rich blessings. At other times your praise is more disciplined and measured--an act of your will. I dwell equally in both types of praise. Thankfulness, also, is a royal road to draw near Me. A thankful heart has plenty of room for Me.
When you thank Me for the many pleasures I provide, you affirm that I am God, from whom all blessings flow. When adversity strikes and you thank Me anyway, your trust in My sovereignty is a showpiece in invisible realms. Fill up the spare moments of your life with praise and thanksgiving. This joyous discipline will help you live in the intimacy of My Presence.
My brain works in analogies and pictures. I do not think this will be one I soon forget. Next time I am upset, I hope that my mind zooms to a picture of a bike crashing and I realize that I have the choice to look objectively at the situation to see my part, and to be grateful for the blessings that came along with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment